Saturday, March 31, 2012

Violence in Books/ Book rating system (Weekly Discussion)

I have recently read "Fifty shades of Grey" and that book made me think: How and when is violence in books enough? I know that there has been a lot of violence and suggestive situations in books, that's why they have a banned books list, yet when a book like "50 shades of Grey" comes out and it actually takes the reader into the world of BDSM. Who is to say that this book wont end up on the banned books list?

Let me say that I did enjoy reading this book, and I would more than likely read the next two books in the trilogy.. and I am not bashing the book. I just think that the book was a little graphic. Now given that hopefully kids would not be  reading this or such other graphic books. My opinion and this may just be me and maybe a few other people who are conservative, I think that books should follow a rating system like movies and games.

It would cut down on books like this being read by such suggestive minds, maybe I am over thinking this whole graphic concept of books and the effects that they have on young minds. I sure don't think that I am the only one who has thought like this before. If books did follow such a rating system would that make people more tempted to read them? Like taking "Fifty shades of Grey" this book would be rated R or M for mature. Would that makes people like minors want to read this book? Or would imposing such a rating system on books put them on the banned books list?

I would love to here feedback on this and what do you think about the idea of a book rating system..

No comments:

Post a Comment